About Me

My photo
Washington, United States

Blog Archive

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Japanese cotton soft cheesecake


I have been baking almost every single day these last 3 days.  I have been using my Le Creuset ramekins and they have made me very happy!  Even though they are not made in France like the rest of the Le Creuset products, they are very good quality.   They are thick and very easy to clean.  

Today, I decided to try baking a Japanese Cheesecake.  The last time I had this super soft, cottony, cake was when I was in Richmond, B.C.  I had the coffee flavored Japanese cheesecake that was so good.  As usual, I searched the internet for the perfect recipe and I always read the comments/the ratings of a certain recipe.  This didn't fail me.  But I did change the recipe a bit.  My secret when baking a soft, fluffy cake is to use powdered sugar instead of granulated sugar that most recipes call for.  I think powdered sugar makes the cake lighter and fluffier because it contains a little bit of cornstarch.  It's perfect when baking souffles, roll cakes, and chiffon cakes.  It has never failed me when I do the substitution (knocking on wood!). 
I used this wonderful recipe.


I didn't have a lemon so I used lime instead.  You're supposed to use a parchement paper so it won't stick to your pan but there's no way it would be easy to cut a heart shaped parchement paper.  I buttered the ramekins very generously and it was just fine.  I love the idea of an individually baked cake :)  I think I've gained more than than 5 lbs these last 3 days.  But I can't say no to this cotton soft cake!  I think I will have another slice!  If you're dieting, this isn't the type of a cake you should be eating.  Stick with my souffle recipe :) 
I have been buying Japanese Cheesecake from Uwajimaya for years.  But never again.  I'll have to make this for my mom soon.  I know she'll love this!

No comments:

Post a Comment