About Me

My photo
Washington, United States

Blog Archive

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Vintage Japanese Cake Stands

I'm back to thrifting again.  I stopped for about 8 months since I realized how crowded my place was getting.  I knew I couldn't get away from Goodwill long enough.  I did get rid of a lot of kitchen stuff and donated them awhile back so I do have "some" room to find new vintage stuff.  I believe in "recycling" :) I donated things back that I get from thrifting that I no long want or need after awhile.  I once collected over 200 vintage Pyrex when I had a bigger house, I had to give up most of them not all by choice.  I did keep some favorites of mine that I will post later.  The difference now is that I use every single one of them and not just display them like before.  These days, the  pink Gooseberry sets that I used to just stare at gets used everytime I bake.

What makes me wonder is why Pyrex never made a cake stand or a cake carrier!  They made everything else that you needed on baking a cake but nothing on how you can store it!  I've been thinking a lot on getting a cake stand for awhile now.  I just never bought one since I have 2 vintage cake carriers that I am able to use in my fridge.  Yesterday, I went to Goodwill and low and behold, I found these:

These are handpainted from Japan.  I would say they were made in the 1950's.

They are just gorgeous and these pics do not do them justice.  I should have washed them first before taking pics but I was too excited.  They were $7 each. 

I'm not sure if who made these since I can't read Japanese.


I just really love the design of these cake stands!  You can still see how sharp the gold paint that was use to hand paint them. 

Here is my favorite cake carrier:


With secure locking for transportation of your precious cakes.  I bought this for about $12 from St. Vincent de Paul about 2 years ago.  It was not the typical price from that thrift store but I liked it so much. 

This is kind of rare out of many vintage cake carriers that I've seen in person or on Ebay because of its glass under plate as in the metal plate that most vintage cake carrier came with.  I just love the crystal glass!  I don't know who made this since there are no markings anywhere.  I've only seen these a few times on Ebay so I know it's pretty rare.  My other cake carrier is made by Lincoln Beautyware--which you can easily find on Ebay.  This is much heavier than my Lincoln Beautyware since this has a glass plate, but the locking system for this is very secure. 

Here is my Pyrex/CorningWare collection when I had a bigger house:






No comments:

Post a Comment